1. The experience and skills of the top managers.
2. The energy, persistence and resourcefulness (the will to make the business succeed) of the top managers.
3. A product that is at least a cut above the competition and service that doesn’t get in the way of people buying.
4. The ability to create a “buzz” around the product with aggressive and strategic marketing.
5. Deal-making skills to sell the product at the highest possible price given your market.
6. The ability to keep developing new products to retain and build a customer base.
7. Deal-making skills to work with resource suppliers to keep costs low.
8. The maturity to treat employees, suppliers and partners fairly and respectfully.
9. Superior location and/or promotion creating a connection between your product and where it can be obtained.
10. A steady source of business during both good economic times and downturns.